Existing Conditions, the much buzzed about new NYC bar, will not open until early July. However, Neat Pour got inside look at…
- Base Spirit Agave Distillates
- Preparation Punch
- Flavor Chocolate
- Served Mugs
Alexandra Anderson is known for her agave focused creations behind the bar, but during her formative years, she was mixing batter not booze. Combining the two loves, she created this delicious hot cocoa during her time at New Orleans’ Cane & Table.
First and foremost, this drink is rich. Waves of warm chocolate soothe the soul. The agave and cayenne provide just enough spice (without going to Jacque Torres extremes). That small kick is a perfect pairing with chocolate dating all the way back to the Aztecs. This incarnation is basically dessert in a mug.
- Combine milk, cream, and cinnamon sticks in a large pot. Warm over low heat for about ten minutes.
- Add chocolate, cayenne pepper, and ground cinnamon.
- Stir continuously until chocolate is fully melted and incorporated.
- Add the tequila and mezcal.
- Serve and garnish with fresh ground nutmeg.
Chocolate - Baking chocolate will get the job done, but Anderson prefers Mexican chocolate. If you can get your hands on it, Puerto Rican hot chocolate bars are also excellent.