A couple months ago, the hospitality world learned of an ambitious plan for a new industry symposium, Chicago Style. Founded by Shelby…
- Base Spirit Champagne
- Preparation Mixed
- Flavor Refreshing
- Served Up
Here’s a fun way to drink your cranberry sauce in a glass of champagne from Kirk Estopinal. Past the novelty, the libation pairs well with turkey sandwiches the day after as you work off your hangover with a bit of the dog’s hair. For those not planning on a headache, the beverage is a great liquid amuse-bouche for the feast ahead.
You can find more of Estopinal’s favorite cocktails in his second book with Maksym Pazuniak “beta cocktails.” for sale here.
- Combine water and cranberries, cinnamon and all spice berries.
- Cook on medium heat in a small sauce pot until cranberries are soft and utterly destroyed. Press the cranberries against the side of the pot. Strain through a sieve and measure out one cup of the cranberry water.
- Add it to the vinegar and and sugar and stir to incorporate.
- Bottle and chill in the fridge until its as cold as possible.
- In the champagne vessel of your choice (I like the coupe or stemmed flute) add 1/2 oz of the cranberry sauce syrup and top with 4.5 oz good dry champagne or white sparkling wine.
- A cinnamon stick for garnish is garish, but appropriate.