COVID Cancels Tales Of The Cocktail In New Orleans This Summer

By Neat Pour Staff |

On Monday (4.20), the Tales of the Cocktail Foundation (TOTCF) formally announced the obvious—due to the COVID-19 pandemic, there will not be a cocktail festival attended by thousands in New Orleans this summer. Instead, the organization will explore alternate avenues to foster community and education this year.

An email blast from TOTCF President Caroline Rosen noted that NOLA Mayor LaToya Cantrell ordered all large events (including legendary festivals like Jazz Fest and ESSENCE) cancelled for the remainder of 2020.

TOTCF declared their plans to “Scale and digitize” instead. Rosen’s letter described “the future of The Foundation’s work: a brand new digital Tales 2020 platform.” She cited a weekly webinar, FULL HANDS IN / FULL HANDS OUT and Healthy Pour, an online wellness series as examples of said work.

The message also floated the idea of hosting small, safe local gatherings during July. Of course, this idea was accompanied by the logical caveats about CDC, WHO, and governmental okays on gatherings of the sort.

The move came after TOTCF was also forced to cancel their annual Tales on Tour event due to the pandemic. 

Unfortunately, the decision was no surprise–and not a decision at all. Given the massive crowds at Tales annually, there really is no way to host the gathering in compliance with the recommended public health protocols. Plus, almost every bar in the US is currently closed due to quarantine and the vast majority of the industry is unemployed.

The popular Bar Convent Brooklyn trade show was previously postponed to August—with promised public health improvements—due to the virus.

Liked it? Take a second to support Neat Pour on Patreon!
Share

Read Next

Grape Escape: Wine Counterfeiter Rudy Kurniwan Deported TO Indonesia

The deportation was no surprise for the convicted felon who has been in the US without a visa since 2003. In fact, during a November 2020 hearing, Kurniwan’s lawyer Jerry Mooney argued that his client should be allowed to upgrade to first class. “They’ll give him the worse seat on the plane,” Mooney pleaded with the judge.

By Neat Pour Staff

Rock’ing The Guac: Teremana’s New Promotion

“I want to help get people safely back into our restaurants, bars and hotels. This is an industry close to my heart and one who normally gives all of us so much support year-round. These people need our help and support to get back in business,” said Johnson in a release. “Let’s go help them out, enjoy some amazing drinks and food and say thank you for all they do. And let everyone know that The Guac’s on The Rock!”

By Neat Pour Staff