Korea Announced Eased Restrictions–Four Days Later, They Shuttered Bars

By Neat Pour Staff |

Just four days after announcing relaxed social distancing measures, the South Korean government, once again, ordered bars and nightclubs closed. The move comes amidst a resurgence of COVID-19 in South Korea—a nation formerly applauded as a success story in pandemic mitigation.

Last Wednesday, the same day, that officials announced relaxed measures, a 29-year-old man tested positive for the virus. Medical investigators soon discovered a new cluster of 50+ cases centered around the individual. Authorities reported that during one night out, he visited three bars; the virus consequently spread to seven bars, putting 7000 people at risk according to contact tracers.

“Just because of a few people’s carelessness, all our efforts so far can go to waste,” Seoul Mayor Park Won Soon said at a press conference Saturday.

Soon stated that nightlife will be closed indefinitely.

South Korea was heralded as a model for pandemic containment. Their rigorous testing and contact tracing program allowed the country to avoid a full lockdown. However, cases surged over the last week—just as Koreans are told to embrace non-essential activities in their new normal.

Liked it? Take a second to support Neat Pour on Patreon!
Share

Read Next

James Beard Foundations Announces 2020 Media Award Winners

On Wednesday (5.27), the James Beard Foundation announced their picks for the year’s best media. Notable winners ranged from from Brett Martin’s provocative profile of activist-chef Tunde Wey to the NoMad Cocktail Book.

By Neat Pour Staff