strawberry fig preserves recipe

|

You cooked them too long. whatever is still on the tree the neighbors and the birds can enjoy. We have a great group here and an interactive time. I have been searching for figs ever since. I love that! Now, touch the center with your finger. Wendy Wilson Billiot. See more ideas about smart school house, strawberry fig preserves, baked dishes. http://s89.photobucket.com/user/Linnet77/media/VIDEO0004_zps65f006d5.mp4.html. Just like inside of raw eggplant. Pretty sweet still. Welcome, Cynthia! BW. BW, Hi Rhoda, and welcome to the bayou. BW. I froze the figs when my neighbor brought them over because I was headed out of town for a week the next day and knew I couldn’t get them put up. BW. Hope the recipe works well for you! Now you get to carry on your mother’s memory and traditions. Put the canning funnel into the jar. ricotta, … And do NOT get rid of that canning funnel…Rach wants it when you’re finished with it. Next time I’ll cut the sugar to 1 cup. I was so worried that I’d never have them again and I kept watching and waiting for the figs to get ripe. STRAWBERRY FIG PRESERVES Boil figs, sugar and water for 30 minutes. Will Try today. Hi Jim and welcome to the bayou. As I’ve said many times before, you are passing on a legacy to your girls, which is all but lost in our generation. To quote Yogi, tomorrow will be “Deja Vu, all over again”. Gosh, thank you SO much for this perfect recipe. They are really GOOD ! (new jello flavor blackberry fusion?) BW. BW (PS This might be a little personal and you might want to email me via one of the many contact boxes, but my sweet daughter-in-law is from your hometown . Would you come back and let us know and answer my question? Hi Deonia and welcome! I’m so sorry that this recipe was SO FAR DOWN the search engine list! I can’t wait to make it. BW. Hey BW, I wanted to drop back in with an update and show you a little bit more of my wonderful tree! Hi Camille, and welcome to this bayou! You would have to figure out how to “hydrate” them first. Gradually stir on contents of pectin package. BW, This was AWESOME you explain so wonderful. Where are you in La?? I did cut back on the sugar to 2 cups and used suger free jello. But I’ve never canned anything ever, so I googled fig preserve recipes and came upon yours. Boiling sugar and water into a syrup requires a lot of watching and stirring. I just picked figs off my tree for the second day in a row. I’m glad you found us, too! This recipe is great with Strawberry, Raspberry, even Peach Jell-O. Your memories of this recipe are good ones from what I gather; so much so that you want to plant fig trees and carry on the tradition. You did some creative thinking with your preserves, and I love that! I am making it now as I type. I’m wondering if you got an answer for this one about the frozen figs??? Currently you have JavaScript disabled. My neighbor brought me a bucket full of figs last week and I really wanted to put up some strawberry fig preserves. Thank you for taking the time to share your story. My neighbors tree is getting ripe and I have permission to help myself to all I want. Look at the center of the lid, does it look concave? So, come on down the bayou with us, cher! Bayou Woman. That is fantastic! How did things turn out once the water was turned back on? Mash them as course or as fine as you like. I am an inexperienced canner. Yep, we eat our extras right away too–it’s just too good not to! Thanks! It took two pounds of store bought figs to make 3cups of mashed figs. It is delish, isn’t it? Wonderful!!! Glad you found me here and the recipe you needed! i invite you to subscribe to this blog and come back so we might get to know you! Is baking soda vital ? I’ve been cooking and jarring figs for days and I just add it to the other things I’m doing. Good luck and let us know how it works for you. Lower heat and continue to boil 3 to 5 minutes, stirring often. Thanks again. Your post made me smile! Remove from the boiling pot and place on a towel to cool. Aug 4, 2019 - Explore Datrayshilltop's board "Strawberry fig preserves" on Pinterest. So I bought some and some jello – now I have to track down small jars! God bless’ A couple of my jars didn’t “pop”, so I took the rings off and the seals are on there and not coming off. I’m so glad you found this blog, too, and I hope you do have some free time to do some reading here! BW. And I have been using my same jar funnel for over 30 years, and it works just as good when I bought it along time ago! Wish there was a pure blackberry jello. It’s definitely been around a long time and is tried and true! I’m sorry, but I’m not much on pruning. So you have fresh preserves now (not that the ones that have been hanging around in the pantry aren’t just as delicious)… when are you having us over for breakfast? SUGAR COOKIES FOR ROLLING (COOKING SCHOOL). I’ll cook them tomorrow. HTML tags allowed in your comment:

. It is so easy and the jam is so good. Turn them over after about ten minutes and as they cool, they will seal and you will hear a ping or a pop. However: remember the old M&M candy theme! I hope it works out well for you again and again! We put on a few pounds of crawfish from the Basin to boil while working on the preserves. I think I can safely say there is no connection between using Jell-O and botulism. The figs were really sweet, This all sounds great! Hope you have a great day! Thanks for posting this, brought a chuckle to the memories of eating toast and ‘strawberry jam’ on the back porch! I made 10 pint jars and 5 quart jars last weekend and will be making more this upcoming weekend (all my jars are already gone!) pinch of salt. To each her own, I say. Bayou Woman on Radio: Added no jello to this one. My mother used to make this when I was a child. Oh, and one more thing–there is actually a group in Lafayette, LA who got together recently and had a fig-preserve making party and used this recipe! Bayou Woman. ), Came across the recipe, who should know more about cooking than a bayou lady. Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a heartfelt comment. BW. when it comes to a hard boil that you cannot stir down, add the remaining sugar. I know I’ll use this for years to come. I did open a jar of the batch that I only cooked 25 minutes, and they come easily out of the jar, but they are thick enough for us to slather on toast and biscuits. Your comment did my heart some much-needed good today! I am excited to get it going!! Mine are completely finished for about a week now. and I’m so glad that you took that leap of faith and made fig preserves for your father-in-law. Gwen , well i made whole figs with lemon and the raspberry fig preserves. A fig tree when properly cared for and pruned can produce up to 75,000 figs each year. I’m touched, and so glad you called your mom. And add orange or lemon slices? I love your blog! One question, I read in the comments that someone made it sugar free by using Splenda. Pour hot preserves into hot jars, leaving ¼ inch headspace. That is what my mom has and a large tree that is drooping with sugar figs! If you would be so kind, after you’ve made your mock strawberry preserves with frozen figs, would you please come back and let us know how that worked for you? I love those two weeks of knowing somewhere in my day I will pick and put up fresh figs. Oh, I’m sorry to hear that. Oh, and my friends either call me Wend or BW or Captain Wendy, but never Alice!!! My problem is we don’t measure anything in cups here. So perhaps tomorrow afternoon I will try crushing and boing fresh peaches and see how this experiment works. Wow… Thank you for your informative site. Can you tell us exactly what you do to keep them from turning mushy or gray? Some things just don’t freeze well forever! Hey C ( is it Charley?) Just boil longer next time. My mom has been gone since 1991, and I really miss her, so I know how you feel. I have a lot of figs and may try strawberry and raspberry! Cheree, Fantastic, Cheree! , Thanks, Celeste! I would say yes you can use them BUT since they do have water content, let them thaw AND drain before cooking. Thanks so much for sharing a link over on my blog too. You will LOVE both making, eating, and sharing this jam. Thank you so much for posting the strawberry figs. Two of my five daughters helped me get a batch cooked and my two boys cleaned the pot and spoon! Thank you for showing the photo of your recipe card! Well, now you an make blackberry, raspberry, and strawberry figs using jello, and I promise you will love them! Interesting my mom has been making that recipe long before you were born. Thanks again for great conversation! She too made the fig/strawberry preserves but no one had her recipe for that. Stir and cook on medium/high heat until boiling. BW. I’m still not sure about reduced sugar, because it is needed to “set” the jam. I made Fig-Blackberry Preserves using Blackberry Fusion Jello (a combination of Blackberry and Raspberry). I’ve been boiling another batch today for at least 2 hours. Oh, and I have a big sis, two nieces, two nephews, and two grand nephews who live in Luling!!! Thanks for this recipe. They have used Peach Jello as well as the Strawberry and Raspberry Jello. So far, it has been not so good chutney, really tasty fresh strawberry and fig preserves and some decent tasting chutney that I need to rest for 30 days. I think they’ll be ok. also, i didnt see in the recipe when they rready to eat or do they need to cure a while? Now you’ve really got me curious! PS Are you kin to Art Rainwater of Farmerville, LA? I hope you and yours love the end result! . Yes, if you read enough of the comments, you will see that I did a batch of them last year. Remember when you are cooking sugar, it is the base for candy making, so it can be cooked to many stages. Good luck! I use this recipe as my contribution to the church bazaar. It’s very basic and almost impossible to mess up (unless you burn it!) And also, did you let them thaw before making the jam? I would do this: Pour them in a strainer, and strain the syrup off. If so, then this should work just fine. Good luck! I’m making another batch and giving them out in my Christmas baskets to my neighbors. We did not hear the pop! I’m so glad! Sterilize jars and lids in boiling water for at least 5 minutes. I will surely let you know how it turns out. I don’t do a lot of cooking, but came out with only one towel on fire, a burned thumb, and only two broken jars. For me…. Thanks for leaving feedback! I can’t believe that jam hasn’t crystallized by now! I would use lemon, but I’m not sure about the orange. Im new to canning, and really just experimenting. Maybe you could reply to this and share at least the basics of that recipe? As I said, I don’t care to have another bad experience with having jars not seal. I wish some of you were near too. I hope it goes well for you, Lillian. Hi Dena and welcome to the bayou and then back to your south Texas home. Thanks for sharing it with us. Fig trees produce two and sometimes three harvests each year; Fig trees can live and bear fruit for 80 to 100 years; Figs are self-fruitful, so you need only one plant to produce fruit. See the year in the upper right-hand corner of the card? It melts in your mouth and not in your hand. i believe i will go over there in next couple days and get some to try this recipe. We didn’t know what it was, but we left it be, and it took only three years to grow tall and start producing figs! Take care and come back and visit any time, Jenny! Thanks for the recipe. HOW TO FREEZE FIGS: Pick, wash, cut stems, throw into freezer bag and freeze. Technician can’t come until Thursday, so if you don’t hear from me, that’s why. Kyla from Mobile,AL, Whew, Kyla! So glad you landed here in search of your 100 year old recipe!!! It is much more fun to be working with a room full of people. Glad you like it and good luck with your canning adventures! So after 2 days of being at work I now have time to try some more– today, I am trying blueberry/fig jam and more strawberry/fig jam. And thanks so much for the update. It's a South Alabama version of the traditional fig preserves made with whole figs… Thanks for the recipe – just moved and can’t seem to find mine. We like both of them, but we really like the raspberry! I have md this for yrs but i always used surejel. how special is that? You’ve helped me think up so many variations and use them all to thank friends and family with the marvelous gift of good food. If it goes down and pops right back up, it is not sealed. Sorry I couldn’t be there. Delicious. Not thick enough, cook a while longer and try again. Great website. Cooking for 2 hours makes it thick. I will share your website with my friends. Better than the high fructose corn syrup stuff you get at the grocery!! It ture out i think better using your way. So easy… Our figs ripens up here in Seattle mid to late Sept. Guess I’ll have to make some biscuits in the morning. It starts out a funny color and the color deepens and looks more like pumpkin. Using a funnel, ladle into hot sterile canning jars, top with hot sterile lids, and seal with rings. And can you cut back on the sugar? I am going to do strawberry when I get my next batch as my tree is loaded with green figs. (Even though I often seem to be in my own Wonderland!) Guess I’ll be going into town after all. Come back soon! Hi Margaret . The preserves, I mean. Search no more! What are your thoughts. and isn’t it rewarding? It turned out well- I used Orange Jello, 2 tsp of cinnamon and 1 tsp of nutmeg. I picked them 4 times last year and told her to call me so she could teach me how to make them. LilSis and I lost our mom back in 1996, and making preserves is one way we honor her and keep her memory alive. and the orange sounds very, very interesting. BW, I really appreciate the written receipt I made this with my sister from St. James near Convent for years and she is gone now and we made it every year and I forgot the measurements so thank you so now I can keep it for my kids. Unfortunately the Starlings are having a feast on them so I want to try your fig strawberry recipe. Honestly? My goodness! BW. Thanks for your quick reply. Thanks! Also, the old fashioned fig preserves is divine, as you will read in the comments section below the photo step by step recipe! Got my jars and sugar and Jello today and can’t wait to try your recipe tomorrow. Why don’t you come visit us down the bayou? I’ll bet there are lots of your family, friends and neighbors who would be happy to take those figs off your hands. It looks delicious. I got 9 jelly jars (1 cup each) of some great tasting plum jelly today. You would of loved it. Also, the Blackberry Fusion is good; however, it is not blackbery. All of the lids have sealed. I just made a batch of your figs ala strawberry preserves and the 2nd jar just popped as I’m typing this! Googled up yours, it is so easy and taste so good! And the jello recipe is so easy to make and doesn’t take nearly as long as old-fashioned fig preserves! This is six cups of mashed figs. Thanks again for posting such clear instructions. BW. Combine eggs, sugar, flour, butter, lemon juice, and ginger in a medium bowl, and stir vigorously until well blended. Everyone loves them!!! I went to visit my aunt and took her more preserves; she told me that she would love to make some before she died(she’s 91),so here we are in my kitchen making a batch of the easiest fig(aka) moke strawberry fig jelly.Thank you so much for sharing this recipe with us.Just made 12 -1/2 pints of the strawberry,now she wants raspberry.Oh,by the way,on the back burner there’s a big pot of venison stew(your recipe),she has invited several of her friends for supper.Good friends,good food, what more can a guy ask for.Love everything about your site.God bless you and your family. I also added some cinnamon . BW, Your email address will not be published. Tried it, beautiful jars and taste is awesome. Picked about three gallons! Hi Ann! Bayou Woman. Thank you for the compliment! My 12 yo daughter made it this afternoon. (Popular site!) Maybe one of the readers here has made it and will leave us a recipe soon! Hi Sue, and I hope it is the same, also. Luling looks a lot different today than when I lived there in 1964. Did you mash the figs before cooking? Thank you for following the blog! BW. I have about 14 cups of mashed figs right now. My fig tree is laden and I don’t have the time to work with the figs at the moment, I’m wondering if I can freeze them after I’ve cleaned and snipped off the tips of the ends? Great! I had just picked a mess of Raspberries and was canning them with a combo of pectin and raspberry jell-o (tastes good), but then I noticed that someone on another site said that if you use jell-o you should not use reg. We’ll see. My heart is warmed, sincerely warmed. Sterilize the jars and lids in boiling water for at least 5 minutes. So glad you found it and that you and kids enjoyed it!!! I just did 24 1/2 pint jars of strawberry and some of blackberry/rasberry (YUMMY!) I’m going to type this out to make it easy for those looking for how to do this . . Good luck and let us know if you will! I made the strawberry fig preserves last night and they turned out great. Oh, and watermelon rind pickles was not something my Great Grandmother or mother ever made, and it’s not something my family eats, so sorry, I don’t have one. Quickly ladle preserves … Wash, peel, and mash figs. Makes me feel great!!! Good luck! Hi Jeanne. Had it just this morning on my biscuits! Sad. I also made raspberry and strawberry fig preserves. , Hi B. — in your neck of the woods, Des Allemands, Louisiana, Hi neighbor! BW. We’ve built a great readership here of great folks from all over, AND we do contests and give away some cool stuff once in a while. . Then everybody is happy! Thank you for your advice. Noticed you had asked me to come back by and leave a comment for you…Your recipe is already a hit with my family & friends. Ok, I have just finished reading many of the comments and will be trying this recipe in the next day or two! I’ll let all of you have the preserves. Thanks for coming back, Mare! I’ve been drowning in figs this week, so I’ve made several batches of this jam, using both strawberry and raspberry Jello. Even after trying old fashioned buttermilk and Crisco recipes, the easiest “homemade” biscuits are from either a Pioneer Biscuit mix or Bisquick. Thank you so very much for sharing, Hi, Margaret and welcome to the bayou. strawberry Jello. Shhhh, nobody has to know! So, basically, we can deduce from this that the preserves “crystallized” because there was no “pectin” left in the fruit since it was no longer fresh. I live in England on the south coast and have a fig tree loaded with ripening figs. I’m glad you were brave enough to try these preserves. My friends keep given me figs from their trees and I don't know what to do with them and they set around and go bad. Thanks for leaving a comment! I know when I use “Sure Jel” to make jams/preserves, it says not to reduce the sugar. God Bless. We have jelly crystals in 85g boxes that makes 2 cups of jelly so what is a large box of jello equivalent? Maybe someone here will answer your question adequately! That probably has a lot to do with why we have so much juice. Well, thank you kindly! BW, hi ya BW just finished my strawberry figs. I can still taste those figs! Thanks for recipe. Hi, Bayou Woman. Wonderful! Right Rach? Thanks for the great comment! Thanks so much for coming back to let us know your adjustments to the recipe, and I hope you will subscribe to follow this blog about Life in the Louisiana Wetlands! “C’est Si Bon!” Taste just like strawberry preserves. Been searching the web for this recipe, and wow did I find a good one!! an excellent day!! I hate to tell you but figs don’t freeze well because they have so much water content. Canning jars in the dishwasherNow's a good time to get the jars ready, so you won't be rushed later. Put the hot lids and bands on the jars, and screw down tightly. She had us all fooled for many many years. I will be making these again and again, or at least as long as I am getting figs off of my trees! Thanks! HOWEVER, since you don’t care of the way they taste as they are, what do you have to lose? thanks, Appreciate your leaving a comment, and I hope the preserves are delicious for you and the family! They love plum jelly. Wow- I followed the recipe and now I have 7 jars of fabulous fig-strawberry jam. At least this means your using them and I’m sure your family appreciates it when they are eating. In order to post comments, please make sure JavaScript and Cookies are enabled, and reload the page. I’m really getting tired of figs! Your figs are fine. Hi Alexx and welcome to the bayou! Jim. I hope you had a blast! Continue stirring and boiling. Thanks for the kind words. My Momma made these every year because we had 3 fig trees in our back yard. Glad you liked and passed it on to your Stumbleupon community! Have been enjoying reading all the comments and look forward to reading more of your recipes when I have more time. You have joined the ranks of centuries of women who have put up food for their families! Let me know if the blackberry was sticky, will you? Let cool about 5 minutes, then spoon the preserves into 6 very clean, 8-ounce canning jars, leaving a ¼ inch of space at the top, and close with the lids and rings. Boiling isn’t a big deal to me, so I’ll just keep on doing it! Not bitter or over lemony at all. You will get it right, okay? 105.3 HD2 – 3WL I’ve made cinnamon fig jam, mock strawberry jam, and am planning on peach for tomorrow! You can use your figs! Great recipe! We typically rinse them in a sink with a little baking soda to kill any tiny bugs. I didn’t get any figs this year, and I’m pretty bummed about that, so I shall live vicariously through your preserves!!! So good!!!! They are a week early for us. Stir in water. I’m not sure what you did wrong because soft taffy seems sticky to me, like overcooking. This is the easiest fig recipe that I have ever made... tastes great... made 4 jelly jars, with a little left to eat with crackers.. Met a lady at church who says she also makes this recipe with Black Cherry and other flavors. i did the receipe from another person cooked on 4 minutes put in jars and open a jar its like soft taffy what did i do wrong, Hi Brenda! Taste just like strawberry preserves. I have a question and it sounds like from reviewing the threads that you would be the perfect person to ask. Some people run the jars in the dishwasher on a hot rinse and hold cycle, and some people pour boiling water in the jars as they sit in the sink. I saved it on my computer so that I will never have to wonder what to do with figs again. Figs do not do well frozen–too much water when they thaw. Getting my creative juiciest flowing. It’s the sugar and jello that make them gel up. Hi: I’m Kims husband, and those frozen figs worked great. Perfect! Boiled crawfish? Most of all they are delicious. I did this a few years ago and took some to church.. the choir has bagels and cream cheese on their “breakfast” table for between services… and they were RAVING about my “strawberry” jam.. so I broke the news to them.. Jim, Oh, please don’t be mad at me, Jim! What I fear, Sandra, is that you will end up with a gooey sticky mess. People LOVE getting homemade things made with love! Thanks for stopping by and come back any time! It is SO GOOD! To me, that is just such a great story—-BOTH STORIES!!! I tried to find the Blackberry Fusion, but the grocery stores out here in the boondocks don’t carry it. I’ve never canned anything sweet because I’ve been afraid of food born illness. BW. I sent a jar to my sis-n-law and she too had memories of her mawmaw when she tasted your recipe. I have never made it nor have I even heard of it before! This is not a “precise” art, Jim, so hang in there and maybe just settle for 45 minutes! Good luck! Oh, Susan, your comment really blesses me. I’m sure you know this, but just remember that all elements must be BOILING hot: the jars, the liquid, the lids, and bands, AND the boiling bath in order to get a good seal on those jars. Thanks for your website it is really interesting and I love your humor.

Are Bosch Tools Made In Germany, Silver Knight Ds1, Doctor Salary California Per Hour, Project In Resume, Pmi-acp Certification Cost, Msi Trident Power Supply Failure, Chunky Knitting Patterns, Shure Blx24r/b58 4 Pack, Kingsford 30 Inch Barrel Grill Cover, Chief Customer Success Officer Job Description,

Liked it? Take a second to support Neat Pour on Patreon!

Read Next

Hendrick’s Rolls Out Victorian Penny Farthing (Big Wheel) Exercise Bike

The gin maker’s newest offering, ‘Hendrick’s High Wheel’ is a stationary ‘penny farthing’ bicycle. (For readers who are not up-to-date on cycling history, the penny farthing was an early cycle popular in 1870’s; you might recognize them as those old school cycles with one giant wheel and one small one.) The Hendrick’s version is intended to be a throwback, low-tech response to the likes of the Peloton.

By Neat Pour Staff