After much ado (including a postponement, a recasting of the votes, and a rules change), Tales of the Cocktail announced their 2020 Spirited Awards winners today.
- Base Spirit Agave Distillates
- Preparation Shaken
- Flavor Refreshing / Citrusy
- Served Up
The El Rey Platido is a riff on the Silver King, a classic Golden Era, egg white sour. In this modern, Mexican reboot, a split base of agave distillates is substituted for gin and (of course) lemon juice is subbed out for lime juice. The result is refreshing with a nice kick on the backend.
- Combine mezcal, tequila, lime juice, egg white, and simple syrup in a tin.
- Dry shake until emulsified.
- Add ice to tin. Wet shake just long enough to chill.
- Double strain into a coupe.
- Garnish with bitters on top.
The choice of Mezcal is a big factor in taste. We used Vago Espadin for strong citrus and flint notes.